Diabetic. Noticed swelling on wrist and ankle. Suspected for muscle inflammation. Medical cure?

ENT Specialist
Hello Dr Bhatti, my name is XXXXXXX and I want to ask some questions about my dads swollen arm. Three weeks ago his wrist became swollen he went to the clinic and they said a muscle inflammation it will pass in the next few days. After few days the swelling was gone and he was fine. Past two weeks the selling has come and gone but didn't seem to be that bad. Today the swelling was really bad and even his ankle has swollen. I wanted what is it? Also he is diabetic
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get X-rays of the affected wrist and ankle done.

2. A Bone Scan may also be done. MRI and PET Scans may be decided later.

3. These investigation swill help rule out any cellulitis, early neuroarthropathy, osteoporosis and fractures, especially if his blood sugar levels are high.

4. Are the swollen areas warm to touch? Are they tender on touch? Is he able to perform the full range of movements of the affected joints? Is his diabetes under control? Any recent blood tests?

5. Get Rheumatologist's opinion. He may require to reduce weight bearing on the affected ankle, use a cast and medical therapy depending upon the results of the above investigations.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.