Diabetic. Noticed swelling in both ankles. Have knee pain

Dec 2012

I am a diabetic and just tonight I have noticed swelling in both ankles but mainly in my right ankle. Also, For the past week I have had knee pain in my right knee when I arise from a chair or from the floor. As I walk around the pain subsides, I only have the pain when I initally arise.
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like arthritis

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Diabetes mellitus is a risk factor for joint diseases especially arthritis, gout etc. The symptoms you are describing are typical of arthritis and it is best if you do some specific tests such as ASLO, Rheumatic factor, uric acid, ESR, CRP, fasting blood glucose etc to determine the cause so appropriate treatment can be provided.
It is true that when you have developed arthritis, the pain is hardly only mechanical (i.e occurs during movement) but is mostly inflammatory (i.e permanent and does not respect movement-instead aggravates) but some milder forms of inflammatory arthritis could also present as such.
I believe there is a need to see a doctor as soon as you can for early intervention.

Hope this helps and wish you the best. Do feel free to write back for any follow-up questions.
Dr. Nsah