Diabetic. Having severe pain in back, hip and leg with burning sensation on toes. Medical cure?

Psychiatrist
Question
HELLO, i AM HAVING SEVERE PAIN IN MY RIGHT HIP AND DOWN MY LEG FEELS LIKE MY FOOT AND TOES ARE BURNING,OUTSIDE OF CALF IS HURTING ABOVE ANKLE AREA.THE PAIN IS CONSTANT IN MY LOW BACK WHEN I STAND UP IT FEELS LIKE I CANNOT STRAIGHTEN UP. I AM A DIABETIC NEWLY DIAGNOSED BUT BEEN TOLD I WAS BORDERLINE FOR A COUPLE YEARS.I WAS TESTED FOR CANCER BECAUSE OF MRI TAT SHOWED SOME MARROW CHANGES, 4 BONE MARROW AND 1 BONE BIOPSY ALL FROM L4 AND S1 AREAS. NEGATIVE. I ALSO AM GETTING A PAIN RIGHT WHERE STERNUM ENDS AND TO RIGHT COMES AND GOES. I CAN HARDLY WIPE WHEN I GO TO BATHROOM CANNOT TWIST TO THE RIGHT AT ALL WITHOUT PAIN. I ALSO DRIVE 3 HOURS A DAY TO WORK AND SIT ALOT NOW.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
before answering your question, i would request you to provide me a few more details:
1) How long has it been aching?
2) Did you suffer any trauma?
3) Was there any back ache in the past?
Availability of this information will help me in serving you better.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Diabetic. Having severe pain in back, hip and leg with burning sensation on toes. Medical cure? 1 hour later
I HAVE BEEN HAVING PAIN LIKE THIS ON AND OFF FOR YEARS IT HAS COME AND GONE, THE BACK ALOT BEING UNABLE TO TWIST AND BEND OVER AT WAIST WITHOUT EFFORT HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR YEARS. I WAS IN A SEVERE CAR ACCIDENT 3 YEARS AGO, THE PAIN DOWN LEG HAS JUST KIND OFF GOTTEN WORSE AM HAVING TINGLING AND STIFFNESS NOW AND JUST GOT UP

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 36 minutes later
Thanks for your follow-up query,
The pain and tingling that you are describing appears to be due to some compression of nerves between your vertebra. At age 55 years there is always a possibility that your vertebra could have developed degenerative changes leading to compression of nerves. This compression leads to the characteristic pain and tingling that you are describing.
Initially what you require is a complete bed rest and probably some hot fomentation.
When the pain is slightly bearable, you should try to get an MRI of your spine done.
After the MRI, you need to consult your orthopedician and physiotherapist who can guide you with some exercises of low back which will help in reducing the pain.
If the pain does'nt settle down with rest youcantake some NSAIDs like ibuprofen. But dont take them on empty stomach.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.