Diabetic. Have sharp pain on feet with blisters, sore calf muscles and have high BP. Suggest?

sharp stabbing pain on top of feet,has formed blisters that were filled will water,sore calf muscles and sensitive skin around the thigh area,also have high blood pressure.these symtoms may not be related to each other but are happening at the same time.also was diagnosed with diabettes type 2........ 4 months ago.
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Omer 19 minutes later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query.

As you have said that you have blisters on your feet , known hypertensive and diabetic.

Yes in patients with diabetes or new-onset diabetes can develop cellulitis (skin infection) and blisters on the feet.

A newly diagnosed diabetics and in those who have poorly controlled diabetes are more prone for staphylococcal infection of the feet. Since you have blisters on the feet I suspect that the your blood sugar might not be well controlled through out the day. Therefore it would be worthwhile to visit the nearest ER. The doctors at the ER can verify your sugar levels and start relevant antibiotics for the same.

The pain around the calf muscle and super-sensitive skin around the thigh area is due to the blisters on your feet. Note that your blood pressure and the medications you are using for diabetes have nothing to do with these blisters.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any further questions.

Follow-up: Diabetic. Have sharp pain on feet with blisters, sore calf muscles and have high BP. Suggest? 1 hour later
the blisters that formed,happened when I tried to ignore the sharp stabbing pain on top of my feet,continued about my activities.when I got home I checked my feet and found two raised areas on top of one foot and one on the other.when I pushed one of the bumps,water sprayed out in a stream,no pus or blood just a clear liquid.I have curtailed my activities greatly,now have occasional stabbing pain but no more blisters.when I walk there seems to be a feeling of extreme pressure on top of my feet.stabbing pain increases.some one told me that it's possible that my very high blood pressure might be causing water to leak from capiliraries in my feet which in turn is causing sharp stabbing pain and water blister.not sure
Answered by Dr. Omer 7 hours later
Hello again,

Thankyou for writing back.

So first you just had sharp pain in that area , and then after some time blister formed.

In diabetics usually the infection is deep seated , meaning arising from subcutaneous area of feet with nothing visible on the skin and then after few days it appears on the skin as blisters.

Secondly Peripheral neuropathy in people who have high blood sugar or poorly controlled sugar , due to imbalance in diabetes glucose by-products start to accumulate in the body , nerves and this causes abnormal signalling from these nerves , especially hand and feet , to check nerves you need to do a rehabilitation doctor.

The culprit in both the causes is poorly controlled sugar , so we need to address this problem on priority.

Hypertension is NOT the cause of blisters or sharp pain in your feet , long standing hypertension can cause weak heart and that inturn causes swelling of entire leg and feet due to oozing of water from the veins.

I would also suggest that you should get your feet reviewed by a surgeon for deep seated infection.And not to wear closed shoes and with regular self feet examination as well.

Dont worry just follow what I said , and your problem will be solved.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Diabetic. Have sharp pain on feet with blisters, sore calf muscles and have high BP. Suggest? 10 hours later
thank-you doc,this sounds like my problem.i'm seeing my doctor in two days and will bring this up.not sure if I'll be able to,but will let you know how things go..........again thank-you.
Answered by Dr. Omer 12 hours later
Hello again

Thankyou for understanding.

Oure prime goal is customer`s 100% satisfaction.

I would like you to discuss everything I explained it to you.And He will listen to your problem to solve it , as you have done a complete Homework.

Hoping that I was helpful to you.

Your feedback is important for us , kindly write a review , obliged.