Diabetic. Have painful blister on toe. Is there a danger of losing the toe?

I am a diabetic what has two toes amputated. I work on my feet all day and now I have a blister that is painful on my little toe on my left foot. Yesterday there was some drainage but today I did not notice anything other than pain from that toe. Am I in danger of loosing an other toe?
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There is a risk of loss of the toe but this risk can be minimised and eliminated completely if you are able to have your toe reviewed as soon as possible.

It may not be infected at this point , prompt treatment would prevent infection from occurring.
The symptoms of infection are fever, redness of the area ( this would also occur if it was simply inflamed), increased warmth of the toe, pus discharge, swelling and pain.

Your doctor will likely clean the area with normal saline ( medical salt water) if there is no evidence of infection and cover it with non adherant guaze.

He or she may give prophylactic antibiotics ( to prevent an infection from occurring).

It would be important to keep your blood sugar under control because this would help with healing.

You do not have to lose any additional toes once you have the toe evaluated and treated appropriately.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions