Diabetic. Given Gluformin. Feel no effect of this medicine on glucose control. Continue medications?

Diabetologist
Question
Hi Doctor i am diabetic from feb 2009 at that time doctor give me Gp 2mg 1 in morning and 1 in night and Gluformin Xl1000 in afternoon after lunch and 1 in night after dinner. I am taking this medicine regularly from 2009 but now i am feel these tablet not giving proper effect on Glucose control.Today morning i check my fasting glucose level it shows 195 which is high.In night after dinner when i check it shows more than 200 Whether i need to change the medicine or i need to continue these medicines. I am 37 year old male.
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
changing medicines will help

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir/madam

You are already taking more the maximum dose of metformin. If you still raise the dosage it might not help you further.

Fasting plasma glucose roughly tells the beta cell reserve in pancreas. A high fasting plasma glucose indicates low beta cell reserve. And drugs like glimeperide won't help you further as it will depend on the amount of beta cell reserve.

In this situation you might need to change the medicines. Insulins and gliptins are group of drugs which has beta cell sparing effect. You can ask about the drugs with your doctor and select the groups of drugs accordingly

Hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you need clarification.

Follow-up: Diabetic. Given Gluformin. Feel no effect of this medicine on glucose control. Continue medications? 19 minutes later
Thanks doctor for reply Can you suggest me the medicine which i need to take as replacement of current medicines.After that i will monitor my self at least for 1-2 months then come back to you.

Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gliptins and insulin

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir/madam

In this situation, I prefer to start sitagliptin along with metformin. This combination is available as 50 and 100 mg tablets. I would also start basal analogue insulin such as glargine or detemir initially during bed time.

As each drugs have individual indication and contraindications, I would recommend that you check with your treating doctor and start them. I am sure the doctor will understand your needs and oblige. I will be available to guide you further.

Follow-up: Diabetic. Given Gluformin. Feel no effect of this medicine on glucose control. Continue medications? 42 minutes later
Sir,

It is necessary to take the insulin injection ?there are any tablet as replacement for injection.These tablets which you suggest how i need to take like before break fast or lunch how..

Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
with food or after food

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir

Ideally it should be taken before food but if you have gastritis or hyper-acidity, then you can take it with food or immediately after food.

Thanks