Diabetic. Fasting sugar 110-120 and post lunch 160-180. Feeling heavy in the stomach after food. Suggest

Diabetologist
Question
I am diabetic since 22 years. Regular in walking, yoga. The fasting blood sugar is 110-120 and post lunch is 160-180. Last checked a month back. Of late there is no apetatite. Consulted a Gastro specialist. After through examination, he came with no problems. The food intake is reduced. There is a weight loss of 2 kg over a period of two months. With force when I consume food, feeling heavy in the stomach, as if some stone in the stomach. There is some sound in the stomach. Was consuming jarda pan (5-6) per day, and have left two months back. Once in a week consume two large pegs of alchohol.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 5 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

One of the gastrointestinal complication of long standing diabetes is Diabetic gastroparesis.

Due to persistent hyperglycemia the nerves of the gastrointestinal tract are damaged. This caused delayed gastric emptying, indigestion, slowed bowel movement, flatulence and constipation.

It is better to rule out other causes before arriving at this diagnosis.
You have done it by consulting a Gastroenterologist and he had ruled out other causes.

Treatment.

1. eat small meals frequently.

2. Eat well cooked high fiber food(Vegetables and fruits).

3. Eat low fat diet.

Medicines.

1. Antiemetic to prevent nausea and vomiting. Prochlorperazine

2. medication to stimulate gastric muscles. Metoclopramide and erythromycin.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.

Follow-up: Diabetic. Fasting sugar 110-120 and post lunch 160-180. Feeling heavy in the stomach after food. Suggest 1 hour later
Thanks for the prompt reply. Will you kindly let me know the alternate medicines, if the prescribed one is not available. Secondly, what is dose and how many days I need to take.
Regards.
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 6 minutes later

Please make sure that your doctor is convinced with the diagnosis.

These are medicines which need to be taken with the proper advice of the treating doctor.

Dosage depends upon the symptoms and other parameter like renal status etc..

But initially it can be tried as once daily dose.

I have only mentioned the pharmacological name and the brand name of the drugs vary with the companies.

Follow-up: Diabetic. Fasting sugar 110-120 and post lunch 160-180. Feeling heavy in the stomach after food. Suggest 5 minutes later
Thanks a lot.
Regards.
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 minute later
Best wishes.