Diabetes,asthma,hypertension,cold,lump inside ear,ear pain

Hello i am a 23 year old female with diabetes,asthma,seizures and hypertension. Ive had a cold for 6 days now and i realize i have a lump inside my ear that is sending shooting pains through my ear!
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later

A lump inside the external ear canal which is causing a shooting pain is most likely an infected gland.

Usually it is caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage (mucus or other impediment) to the gland ducts.

If infection sets in, the result is an abscess. Usually it has pus inside and needs an antibiotic and anti inflammatory drug for treatment.

A thorough examination is a must for proper diagnosis and treatment.

I would suggest to get yourself examined by an ENT for proper diagnosis. Meanwhile keep the area clean, apply antiseptic ointment like neosporin or put an antibiotic ear drops and take a mild pain killer like ibuprofen for inflammation.

Doing a hot fomentation will help in decreasing the pain.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.