Developped throbbing pain in right trapezius/base of the neck. Cause?

I developped a horrendous throbbing pain in my right trapezius/base of the neck tonight. it radiates across my collar bone what may the cause be?
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern. From your symptoms it looks like a spasm of the trapezius muscle which can occur due to faulty position of the neck while sleeping. using thick pillows or performing simple, everyday movements—such as habitually holding a telephone between the ear and shoulder.

I suggest you to apply cold compresses on the right side shoulder and take some Diclofenac or Ibuprofen after prescription from your doctor. Give complete rest to the part , apply some topical muscle relaxants and avoid doing any activity like raising your arms or stretching the arms which causes any further damage. Also avoid sleeping with the arm extended up behind the head and use pillows of adequate thickness.

Massage and stretching done under a physiotherapist’s guidance also helps.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.