Ask a Dentist   »  

Developing a new teeth and having pain. Currently breast feeding. Medication to reduce the pain?

Hello Doctor,

My wife could suddenly find a new teeth growing on the left side of her jaw. She is feeling little bit of pain while chewing on that side. We are blessed with a baby boy in January and currently he is on breast feeding. Could you let us know what mediations that she can take to get rid of that pain(kind of calcium tablets or so) that does not effect the breast feeding process.

Thanks & Best Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 46 minutes later
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

The new tooth noticed by your wife could be a wisdom tooth(third molar).
usually, it causes pain and infection as it tries to erupt in the mouth,at this age.

In most of the cases it is seen that there is minimal or no space in the arch for its eruption and thus the tooth takes altered path,damaging the adjacent teeth.

But yes, in few cases it erupts in the mouth, when adequate space is available in the jaw.

The decision upon its eruption can be made on the basis of an intra oral periapical x ray(IOPA).

Therefore in my view,if possible see your dentist once and get an x XXXXXXX done to know its exact location,as it causes recurrent infections.

Also,brush doesn't reach to these areas,therefore cleaning becomes little difficult in the region of third molar. Further accumulation food debris there, aggravates the problem.

You should do warm saline rinses frequently.Also use antiseptic mouth wash.
maintain very good oral hygiene by rinsing after each meal.

For immediate pain relief she can take Tablet Dolo 650mg after food a few times. It is safe during breast feeding.

Hope I have answered your query .for further query please let me know.