Developed tinnitus in ear and having constant ringing. Diagnosed as benign mixed tumour. Could this tumour cause tinnitus?

ENT Specialist
Question
have developed tinnitus in my left ear.....constant ringing for a couple of months.... noticed a small lump behind my left ear lobe was a small growth in my parotid gland....had a biopsy and it was diagnosed as a benign mixed tumor.....during the biopsy, I felt a pain in the middle of my ear....could this small tumor be the cause of the tinnitus? maybe pushing on a nerve?....
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Most likely, this is a pleomorphic adenoma of the left parotid salivary gland.

2. The pain in the middle ear during the biopsy is usually a referred pain due to common sensory nerve supply.

3. Tinnitus is a fairly common problem with age related hearing loss. It is unlikely to be due to a parotid tumor unless it is large enough to compress the Eustachian Tube. The deeper extent of the tumor into the parapharyngeal neck space should be assessed.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.