Developed substantial swelling and blotchy redness in both legs. Any thoughts?

ENT Specialist
My father, age 67, developed substantial swelling and blotchy redness in both legs (ankle to knee) yesterday afternoon after standing for most of the day. Although he won't tell me, I believe it was moderately painful. After resting for the night, the swelling is somewhat reduced. Any thoughts on what this may be?
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 16 minutes later
Hi, Thanks for the query.

Well, Is the swelling only from ankle to knee? Is there no swelling over the foot? If yes this is called bilateral pedal edema. Can you please check about the surgery, cororitic surgery?

In idiopathic edema, leg swelling occurs for unknown reasons after standing for several hours, especially in hot weather. People with congestive heart diseases often have trouble with swollen legs as the heart pump fails and blood stagnates in the veins. The veins do not direct the blood well in a 60 plus year old.

There are several simple and effective ways to relieve swollen legs: ---

1-Elevate your legs. Swelling goes down faster when your feet are 6 to 12 inches higher than your heart. Do this at night and at least several times a day by putting pillows under the foot of a mattress. If that's not possible, sit down and prop up your feet on a footstool or sofa.

2-Exercise. Inactivity makes your circulation sluggish. But as soon as you start walking, muscle contractions help push your blood through veins back to your heart.

3-Halt the salt. Since too much sodium increases swelling, stay away from salt-cured foods and don't add extra salt when you cook.

The best advise is to contact your provider promptly if you notice any warning signs that may signal a more serious condition. These include pain, redness, an open sore, shortness of breath, or edema of only one limb. In addition, consult your provider about the swelling that persists more than a few days despite treatment.

Hope, this will help you out and I am ready for future follow up(if any),

Follow-up: Developed substantial swelling and blotchy redness in both legs. Any thoughts? 2 hours later
Sorry, should have read carotid artery surgery. I believe his feet were swollen as well.... Is the red blotchiness symptomatic of the edema as well?
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 22 minutes later
Hi again,

Yes I have read the history of carotid artery surgery and I have mentioned already that patients with heart diseases, including the post op cases may be associated with this condition.

The red blotchy discoloration and pain is skin inflammatory changes secondary to the swelling. collection.

Please follow the advices, and definitely there will be relief from symptoms.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other inquiries.