Developed sore throat and swollen gland in neck. Feeling tired and bloating. What is wrong?

ENT Specialist
Hi, a few days ago I developed a sore throat and swollen gland in right side of neck. Also noticed that my upper arms are aching. Extreme tiredness combined with pains , and bloating in my stomach. As I have a redundant colon and irritable bowel it's difficult to know if the discomfort in the colon in related? Will get in to see a Dr asap for blood test, but was wondering if these symptoms will be helped with the use of antibiotics , as I have taken a 1000mg of cephalexin capsules , one a day , until such time that I can see a Dr. Would appreciate an opinion on what it may be, as I have never had aching in upper arms before. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

After going through your description I do feel you are suffering from acute pharyngitis.

Acute pharyngitis is the sudden onset of inflammation of the throat, characterized by throat pain, fever, enlargement of the lymph node in the neck, etc. The swollen gland is the lymph node which enlarges when there is infection in the throat. Sometimes, when the infection is severe the pain is transmitted into the neck and upper arm.

The sore throat is not related to the intestinal problems.

My advice to you is:
1. To drink plenty of warm water
2. Continue with Cephalexin
3. Try taking medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the relief of pain.
4. Do gargles with povidone iodine solution for the speedy recovery.
5. Once you consult your doctor, request for an ECG along with other blood tests to rule-out any cardiac related problems.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon