Developed sinusitus, sore throat, stuffy nose and coughing. Experienced head pain. Suggest?

I just returned on a long flight from China to the United States. While in China, I developed sinusitus, resulting in sore throat, stuffy nose and couging, in that order. On the second day after my return to the States, I experienced sharp jolt of pain on the left back side of my head after getting up in the morning. Although it subsided quickly, it comes back every time I cough, yawn or get up from sitting. My main concern is if this may be an anyeurism from the long flight. Please advise. Thank you in advance.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Causes explained

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

At the outset i would pike to clarify that it is not an eneurysm. The eneurysm doesnt cause symtoms as you have explained.

The pain you are experiencing could be due to 2 main reasons
1. Raised Intra cranial tensiom
2. Cervical vertebra problem

Each timeyou cough the ICT increases as the obdominal pressure increases. This causes slight stretch of meninges and that can cause pain. This pressure is minimal and will not cause any damage.

Secondly cervical vertebra can also get compressed cause of coughing and cause pain. It will be transient and will reduce with the resolution of cough

You should do warm saline gargles, steam inhalation , and take a course of antibitotic such as cefexime with antihistamines such as cetrizine.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.