Developed red spot on cheek after facial. Using apexicon cream, doxycycline and desonide

I got a facial in December and developed a red round spot in my left cheek abt a year ago. It was there for almost two months. My DOC gave me apexicon cream and it went away in two weeks. Well like a dummy I got a facial this past December and the same thing happened except the apexicon didn't work this time. She gave me a sulfa based prescribed wash to use and the conditioned worsened and I got a similar spot on my right cheek. I have been to 4 dermatologist. And have been prescribed an antifungal, doxycycline, desonide, dermovate, tenovate and another topical steroid. The spots have gotten lighter but are still there!! If I stretch the skin around the spots my normal skin time is there but when I let up the redness returns. I have used all the above since December!! I'm really worried. I have a sulfa allergy and ceased using any facial products containing sulfa but the redness still persists. I am fair skinned African American and the redness is blatantly visible. Please help. Don't know what else to do!!
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 17 minutes later
Hello dear,
Thanks for the query,
Starting from your first allergy till now which ever cream you have used, contained steroid.
According to me you have developed side effect of steroid.
Thinning , wrinkling and persistent redness of skin are common side effects of skin.
I would like to have a look on your face, please upload a picture if possible.
stop all creams for now, just apply plain alovera gel.
Let your skin first heal itself, then you can think about removal of spot.

If you keep using steroids, the spots may disappear but your skin might get permanently damaged.

Thank you
Follow-up: Developed red spot on cheek after facial. Using apexicon cream, doxycycline and desonide 12 minutes later
How do I upload a picture? Will ceasing use of the steroids make the condition worsen? I have pictures but don't see the ability to upload in this site
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 6 minutes later
You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. You can also send the reports/ image to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as 'ATTN: Dr. Rahul Kumar'."

Initially you might feel your face is worsening but within a month new skin will come and you will feel perfectly fine.
Stopping steroid is very important, it may cause permanent damage.
Thank you
Follow-up: Developed red spot on cheek after facial. Using apexicon cream, doxycycline and desonide 11 minutes later
I have uploaded a picture and I do also have freckles and miles on my cheeks. I don't have rocesa as I have no acne or pimples or anything the skin is smooth and does not have any scaling or peeling. Will the aloe Vera help with the redness? In between this time I was advised to use aquaphor healing ointment and did so for three weeks with no result the red only got a little darker and turned bright red after I discontinued use. I'm scared the aloe Vera will aggravate my condition. I know I gVe been using the steroid cream for a while and even have. Some hypo pigmentation around the redness now. I'm just really worried. I have never had skin problems. This is all new to me.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Hello dear,
Thanks for the excellent photograph.
There is no doubt that it is steroid induced atrophy.
I have seen more than 50 such cases.
The only treatment is allow your skin to heal on its own.
Aloevera might help a bit, but the main factor will be time.
Whatever you apply this is not going to heal before one month.

Please be patience, let your skin regenerate, if you feel irritation with aloevera just apply plain vaseline (petroleum jelly ).

Just dont worry your skin will improve within a month.

Thank you