Developed red, itchy and swollen areas on hand, head and arm areas Any ideas?

within past 24 hours, I have developed red, itchy and swollen areas on hand, head and arm areas. Also, my left ear lobe, which is oozing clear fluid. Within the past week, I began drinking coffee, about 2 -3 cups a day at work after not drinking coffee for at least five years. I am male, age 59, 6 feet tall, weigh 192 lbs. Within past week, started watching diet and walking 30 - 45 minutes a day with goal to achieve target weight of 180. Medications I take are Synthroid 137 MCG and a light dosage of Benezepril (blood pressure). Any ideas?
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later

Your description is suggestive of allergic rashes. It is not likely to be related to your thyroid or pressure medication - you might have been using them for quite some time. Any insult - ingested, inhaled or in contact - could be the cause. Coffee seems less likely.

Oozing does not occur in such circumstances - this point to the need to see a dermatologist, for further assessment and assistance.

In the meantime, anti-histamine drugs, like cetrizine / chlorpheneramine / benadryl may help - Beware of drowsiness (driving and machinery).

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer other concerns (if any).

Good luck