Developed rashes all over body and warm to touch. Doctor felt fluid in knees. What could it be?

My 12 year old son woke up with a rash on his elbows, knees, ears, buttocks and a few other spots. As the day went on it disappeared. It has flared up on his face and other parts of his body/ torso on and off throughout the day. His elbows and knees were warm to the touch this morning. The doctor but him on a steroid he took at noon, but the rash keeps appearing. The doctor also felt fluid in his knees.
Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi ,
The condition he is suffering from can be viral exanthem,urticaria, bacterial infection etc.
I would like to know-
Does he have fever, malaise, body aches etc?
Is the rash itchy/painful /symptomatic ?
Does he have joint pain?
Is there any oral ulcers/lesions ?
Is the rash raised/ is there blanching does it disappear on pressing?
Also can you upload more photos of the affected area. Close up photos would help a lot .
Answer the questions and upload the photographs and we can continue the discussion here.
Awaiting your response.
MD dermatologist

Follow-up: Developed rashes all over body and warm to touch. Doctor felt fluid in knees. What could it be? 39 minutes later
He does not have a fever. The rash is raised. He has sore joints and has complained of a sore foot/swollen feeling under his foot. No oral ulsers. He says the rash is itchy but I have not seen him scratching. The rash is not painful. He had a cough last week that was phlegm-y although is better now but still congested.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Hi Again,
Thanks for writing in.
The rash could be urticarial rash.With swollen foot and joint tenderness the lupus and connective tissue diseases need to be ruled out.
He should be started on antibiotics like azithromycin for 3-5 days.
Also analgesic like paracetamol should be started on.
Antihistaminic tablet like zyncet should be started on twice daily.You can apply calamine lotion over the affected skin twice daily.
This will help with the symptoms.A visit to pediatrician would be required for confirmation of diagnosis and prescription drugs.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
Follow-up: Developed rashes all over body and warm to touch. Doctor felt fluid in knees. What could it be? 13 hours later
He is on prednisone. One tablet a day for three days. This morning the rash covered 1/2 to 2/3 of his body. His foot no longer hurts and his rash is on a few small spots, about 5% of his body. The rash comes and goes and appears on different parts of his body. Could this be contagious?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 15 hours later
Hi again,
The rash which comes and goes is less likely to be contagious .It is more likely to be urticaria.
Antihistamines should be given round the clock to contain the rash.
Hope this helps.