Ask a Dentist   »  

Developed lump under cheek bone near neck, swelling and hurts when moving jaw and neck. Cause?

My 30 yr. old daughter living in London just wrote as she developed what feels like a tender lump under her cheek bone near her ear/neck on the left side. There is swelling and hurts to apply pressure, move jaw, swallow or move neck. This all started on Monday and seems to be getting worse. A doctor there checked tonsils, gums, jaw, blood pressure and apparently okay and no fever.
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 1 hour later
Hello there,

According to her clinical symptoms, I suppose that the cheek swelling can be due to underlying dental issue, teeth may become abscessed - a pus filled cavity may come out from the base of the bone leading to swelling and pain, impacted or erupting wisdom tooth can also lead to such symptoms. To rule these out, she needs to get a complete clinical evaluation and an OPG radiograph may help in confirming the overlying cause.

Other than this inflammation of the lymph nodes, salivary gland swelling, inflammation of parotid gland (Parotitis), allergic reactions can lead to such symptoms.

A thorough clinical examination by the physician/dentist is essential to confirm the diagnosis and plan appropriate treatment. You could suggest your daughter to visit her dentist and get radiograph of the affected area. The exact cause can be isolated accordingly

Meanwhile she needs to maintain a good oral hygiene, take lukewarm saline rinses and antiseptic mouthwash rinses twice daily.

I will be happy if you post some good pictures of the lump which will help to confirm the diagnosis.

If you have any further queries I will be happy to answer!

Take care!
Dr Qazi.
Follow-up: Developed lump under cheek bone near neck, swelling and hurts when moving jaw and neck. Cause? 17 hours later
the doctor that has seen her believes she has the mumps. She sees the dentist
annually, however, I guess it is possible that it could be dental related, however,
if it were an infection such as an abscess wouldn't a tooth, gum hurt with this much exterior swelling etc., and wouldn't she have some type of fever??
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 5 hours later
Thanks for the reply,

MUMPS can also lead to such type of swelling, it is painful swelling of the salivary glands mainly the parotid gland (Parotitis), it is also associated with other symptoms like fever, malaise, anorexia, dry mouth and sore face.
A physical examination confirms the presence of the disease.
It is a self limiting disease with no specific treatment, analgesics can be given to control pain.
Ask your daughter to avoid acidic food and beverages for some days and take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses.

Hope this answered your query!
Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery!

Take care!
Dr Qazi.