Developed itch bumps across middle of the back. Applying tea tree oil. Rashes spreading. Fungal rash?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Hi - approximately 2 years ago I developed an itch across the middle section of my back ( across my bra stap line ) - I thought it just a sensitivity to this and chose to ignore it. 8 months ago I developed tiny itchy lumps around the same area - which has slowly spread outward across my back. I have been applying teatree oil thinking it may be a fungal rash and thought I was having improvement but in the last week I am aware it is spreading further - and faster.( the area where the rash has been becomes a little dry and leaves a darker pigment to the skin) The "rash" is actually hard to see . I appreciate your input. Many thanks - XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 19 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare magic
As dermatology is mainly a visual field of medicine it will help a great deal if you could upload a photograph of the rash.
You have a feature to upload the images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your query better. You can also send the image as attachment to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as 'Attn: Dr. Johny Chacko'.

It could still be fungal infection ( Tinea corporis) or eczema or contact allergy to metal hooks of bra strap etc

Is the new spreading rash also itchy ?

Waiting to see the photograph.

Follow-up: Developed itch bumps across middle of the back. Applying tea tree oil. Rashes spreading. Fungal rash? 58 minutes later
Thankyou for your reply - although the rash is hard to see - it just looks like very tiny lumps under the skin - I will have a photo taken tomorrow and post to you. Yes, the new spreading rash is itchy.

Regards - XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Developed itch bumps across middle of the back. Applying tea tree oil. Rashes spreading. Fungal rash? 17 hours later
Hi Dr Chacko,
I have attached the photos of my back which I hope helps, but as explained, the rash itself is hard to see. Prior to using the teatree oil (which is a natural anti fungal treatment ) the rash lumps were getting larger in size - once I stared the teatree it seemed to subside - but as stated - its now on the uptake again.

Many thanks for your time - good luck with my problem : )

Regards XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 4 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for the pictures. It helped.

What you are having is seborrhoeic dermatitis. It is caused because you mount an inflammatory response to an yeast which resides over your skin called malazzesia. The treatment is to decrease the colony of yeast by using antifungal cream/ shampoo. As this yeast is a normal commensal or resident there is always a chance of recurrence if you totally stop all treatments.

You may apply antidandruff shampoo Nizoral 1% over the back( rash area) half an hour before bath and wash it off during bath. Continue this for one week.

Apply an over the counter antifungal Miconazole cream twice a day for two weeks.

This should help clear the rash.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any clarifications I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Developed itch bumps across middle of the back. Applying tea tree oil. Rashes spreading. Fungal rash? 2 hours later
Hello Dr Chacko
Many many thanks for your diagnosis - I would be interested in what you would think of my own rationale as a causative reason for my developing the dermatitis.... I have always been extremely healthy with my diet/ lifestyle .... but in the past 2-3 years have added sugary/ carbohydrate loaded foods to my diet and gained 10kg in this time. Would this cause yeast to thrive and unbalanced the homeostasis of my body ?
This has certainly given me the insentive to return to my prevously healthier habits.
Again many thanks for your help

Kind regards
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

This yeast is lipophilic, that means it likes oil. Scalp, central chest and central back are its favorite areas as they are seborrhoeic areas or oily areas of skin. It is an established fact that sugary foods stimulate sebaceous ( oil ) glands of skin to secrete more oil. Thus indirectly by having sugary diet you are allowing this yeast to thrive better.

Hope this helped
Wish you good health

Follow-up: Developed itch bumps across middle of the back. Applying tea tree oil. Rashes spreading. Fungal rash? 21 hours later
Thankyou XXXXXXX - yes, everything you have said has been a great help and I guess it just reinforces the saying " you are what you eat " !

All the very best
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Happy to be of help to you.
Wish you good health.