Developed fungal infection in the groin area. Used steroid cream. Can the skin get repaired?

Hi,I developed fungal infection in the groin area some years back.I was given some steroid cream which I overused and now the skin around area has cracked.Little sweat and the area gets infected.I am at despair as my normal life is totally disturbed.can the skin get repaired?Please guide. Thanks
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 4 hours later
Dear Patient,
Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
Fungal infection requires an antifungal treatment and not steroidal creams.
Steroid creams only suppress the infection and over use of steroids can lead to atrophy of skin as mentioned by you.
If you still have fungal infection then it needs to be treated with oral drugs like fluconazole, terbinafine etc and clotrimazole creams etc.
Application of bland moisturisers can slowly give back skin its normal thickness and whatever loss has been done with steroidal application can be negated but only slowly.

Dr.Rohit Batra