Ask a Dentist   »  

Developed cavity. Is root canal treatment safe for a 4 years old?

My 4 year old daughter has developed cavity (decay) on both side 1st molar teeth- lower side
She has been advised root canal treatment
My questions
Is this safe and right treatment for a 4 year old kid?
Is it safe to give local anesthesia to such a young child?
And what could be potential problems/side effects resulting from this procedure and what preventive steps we could take to avoid them?
Posted Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us,
I would like to inform you that root canal treatment for primary molars is indicated when the decay is quite large and widespread.
It is very safe and involves removal of the decayed portion followed by filling the tooth, it may take 3 or more sittings.
In case of children we can either use general anesthesia or local anesthesia to numb the tooth and perform the treatment without causing pain.
I recommend you to discuss with your dentist if general anesthesia is needed or not.
Do not worry, there are no post operative side effects associated with anesthesia,
The dentist will provide you with instructions to be taken care of after the procedure, like keep an eye on your child as she might accidentally bite on ur lip or cheek as the area remains numb for 1 hour post procedure.

I hope this answer was useful,
Feel free to post further queries,
I wish you and your daughter good health,
Follow-up: Developed cavity. Is root canal treatment safe for a 4 years old? 13 hours later
Thank you Dr. Bibhu,
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 6 hours later

I am glad you are satisfied.
Thanks for writing to us. Let me know if any further queries are there.

I wish you good health.