Developed anxiety and prescribed to take lorazapam. Is it safe to continue imipramine at bedtime?

Is it safe for me to take imipramine 150mgms at bedtime and lorazapam 0.5mgs if needed usually in the am.I have been taking imipramine since I was 35 and I am now 65 and have continued the same dose all these years.Initially evaluated by my psychiatrist and was followed every 3 months for a year.Continued to do well and my PCP renews my prescription.I have developed some anxiety over this summer and my PCP prescribed lorazapam prn which I take about 3 times a week.I am a retired RN worked 44 years and enjoying retirement.I stay active with volunteer work and grandchildren and have lots of family and friends.I am concerned with the anxiety because I really dont feel that I have any reason to be anxious and I am worried about taking lorazapam.My father suffered from depression and his mother had depression.I am wondering if it is all right to just continue with the imipramine after all these years as I would be afraid that if i did i may get depressed again.Thank you
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Imipramine serum level is increased after 65.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, thanks for asking. Usually the dose of antidepressants are decreased around the age of 65 or a little more like 57. The reason is that liver does not metabolizes as fast as the past the medications one take. The result is that the serum level of the medication is increased while the person is taking the same dose as the past. I recommend that you consult with your doctor about this issue. If he realizes that you could be fine with a little less dose of Imipramine, you can decrease it to see if the anxiety improves with this action. I wish you a good health. Enjoy your sweet family life!