Developed a stress fracture. Been on crutches on and off. On analgesics. chromium ions could be inhibiting osteogenesis. What to do?

I am a female 60 years old keep fit teacher with a hip resufacing operation 10 years ago. I developed a stress fracture on the right iloeo-pectineal line (as shown by scint scan) close to the prosthesis but not touching.I have been on cruthes on and off when I get an acute flare up and I am on analgesics (no anti-inflammatories which inhibit bone formation I am told). Because the prosthesis is chrome cobalt and metal to metal my surgeon believes it is possible that the chromium ions could be inhibiting osteogenesis ---I am awaiting blood results on this: all other tests (vit D etc) are normal.My husband is a medic! Can you add any further adbvices ? --Stephanie Sillers
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 59 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Its good news already the fracture never touched the prosthesis. I am afraid the chrome cobalt actually has as advantage, a limited degree in limiting osteogenesis. the degree to which it shall limit osteogenesis is actually very negligible.

Vitamin D levels are within normal limits, its fine already. I strongly suggest that you limit as much as possible the stress exerted on this already affected region. It s better to actually use your crutches continuously till the pain actually dies down, Abandoning the crutches each time you feel no pain is really to me not a very good idea. Staying permanently on time and only leaving occasionally, especially now is my advice.

I believe your weight is in good order, for with people who are somewhat obese, losing weight usually helps.

Summarily, I would suggest staying n the crutches especially now on a permanent basis and only leaving them occasionally until further notice. It snot worth exerting any pressure on an already fragile zone. A healthy diet, XXXXXXX in vegetables and fruits do help. If obese or overweight, work on losing weight. Stick to your medical appointments and advice of your surgeon,

I would be glad contributing further to your well being if need be.

Wishing you the best of health,
Bain LE, MD.