Developed a sebaceous cyst on abdomen. Which antibiotic should I take to reduce infection?

I have developed a sebaceous cyst on my abdomin and it is infected. Since I am out of the country I need to know what would be the best antibiotic to take to reduce the infection?
This is the fourth day of the cyst being infected and it is about 1 inch long and very red.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information.

The best way to treat this would be to see a local physician who could examine you and provide an adequate assessment

In the absence of being able to see a local doctor there are two medications which are considered to be affective against typical skin infections involving sebaceous cysts. One of these medications is cefalexin which comes in a 500 mg capsule which is generally taken three or four times per day for 10 days. The other choice would be something called Bactrim DS which is a medication which is generally taken twice daily for about 10 days. Also there is a topical ointment which might be helpful called Bactroban.

If you have access to a local pharmacist you could discuss any of these with that practitioner and decide what might be most helpful for you. Also it is very important not to irritate the area or press or squeeze it.

Finally it might be helpful if you do some warm soaks in a bathtub for 15 to 20 minutes once or twice daily.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let us know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Developed a sebaceous cyst on abdomen. Which antibiotic should I take to reduce infection? 54 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I am in China and will go to pharmacy and try to find these antibiotics. Again thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 40 minutes later
Just to clarify, you would only take one of the oral antibiotics. Not both at the same time. Also, ideally you should seek a medical practitioner there who can assess you.

Dr Galamaga