Developed a red rash on the body. What is the reason?

My Husband develops a red rash on the body what is the reason. we dont understand is it due to some allegry or some eating habits,items.
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 13 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare magic
Is this red rash itchy or painful ?
How long it has been there ?
What are the sites of involvement of the rash ?
Is it transient ?
That means appears at one place disappears and appears somewhere else ?
Is there associated swelling of lips and eye lids?

You have a feature to upload the images of the rash by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your query better. You can also send the image as attachment to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as 'Attn: Dr. Johny Chacko'.

Waiting to hear from you with the details.
Follow-up: Developed a red rash on the body. What is the reason? 40 minutes later
it develops sometimes itches and becomes red and last the red rash for 2 or 3 hrs and then goes. back side of the body. no swelling on lips and eye lids.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 49 minutes later
Welcome back.
Can you upload a photo of his rash if possible?

From your description it seems like urticaria. It is characterized by itchy red or skin colored raised wheals which is transient, that means appears in one place and soon disappears from there to appear somewhere else.Urticaria is acute if it lasts for less than 6 weeks and chronic if it lasts for more than 6 weeks.

The most common cause of acute urticaria is food. Seafood, meat, poultry, egg, milk, apples, brinjal, strawberry, coloring agents etc are commonly implicated. It is subjective and any food can cause it. Other common causes are medicines, infections, insect bites etc.

He can take a long acting anti histamine like cetrizine 10 mg or Fexofenadine 180 mg once a day for 5-7 days. Calamine lotion will give a soothing effect. Get these prescribed by your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.