Dettol, tiny portion consumed. Dangerous?

If a tiny amount of Detol was accidentally swallowed, could this be XXXXXXX and when would the effects occur?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Swallowing of small amount of dettol if it is diluted with water is not likely to produce any effect. If you have ingested pure dettol then it can produce burning sensation in the mouth and in esophagus causing heart burn like symptoms.
Consuming water will reduce the burning and you can take sucralfate syrup to protect the gastric coating from it.
In large amounts , it can cause diarrhoea by decreasing the normal gut flora.
None of the symptoms produced are likely to cause any permanent damage.
I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.