Delayed periods after taking Unwanted 72. Pregnancy chances?

Nephrologist
Question
hi sir can i know that after taking unwanted 72 there is compulsion of happening of period or not?
Pls sir let me know as soon as possible b;coz we dnt want baby now ..
we had done entercouse at 6-7 XXXXXXX and then she had taken pill and till now her periods had nt happend so can it be any risk of pregnancy or not....
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 minutes later
Hello.

It is normal to have irregular or delayed periods after taking emergency contraceptive pills like unwanted 72. Do not panic.

It is true that emergency contraceptives are not full proof but they are fairly effective.
Please take a urine pregnancy test to confirm pregnancy. Urine pregnancy test kit is easily available in any pharmacy.

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

I wish you good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Delayed periods after taking Unwanted 72. Pregnancy chances? 16 minutes later
So is it may some percent of getting pregnancy or nott

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 minutes later
Hello.

Thanks for replying.

Unwanted 72 contains Levonogestrel and it's effectiveness is 90%.

That means there are only 10% chances of pregnancy after taking the pill. So don't be panic. Take the urine pregnancy test and see if your partner is pregnant or not.

I wish you good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Delayed periods after taking Unwanted 72. Pregnancy chances? 6 hours later
my last ques sir if she get pregnant than how it can be cure is there is any alternate option rather than abortion...

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later
Hello

Thanks for replying

If she is pregnant and both of you dont want the pregnancy then you can go for an MTP ( Medical Termination of Pregnancy ) which can be done by taking tablets, these tablets have to be prescribed by an obstretician. Most of the times admission into a hospital is not required and these tablets can be taken on an out patient basis but with regular follow ups.

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health