Delayed period, lower stomach pain. Had taken i-pill post sex. Suggestion?

I had sex with my husband 3 weeks before, It was unprotected so I suddenly take an emergency contraceptive pill (i-pill) but first I vomited then I take the same once more. Now my periods are delayed by 5 days, it was to be on 12th. I am having some pain in my lower stomach area. But the periods haven't started... What should I do?
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Delayed menses in a female of reproductive age, especially with a history of unprotected sex should raise certainly the possibility of pregnancy. Emergency contraception when used effectively after a risky sexual contact has an effectiveness of over 95% when applied during the first 12 hours, but the efficacy decreases as the time of administration after intercourse increases. In your case, it was certainly done on time, and normally should be effective.

However, its important to realize that even when appropriately taken, five percent of women would still get pregnant. These drugs are hormones and when taken, the normal cycle might be altered a bit. It is not unusual to observe a delay in the periods. It might be advisable again for you to be patient for about a week. Doing a pregnancy test in the next few days in case menses do not return is advised. But if the test turns out negative, just be patient. In case its positive, you might need to consult a gynecologist for further considerations and management.

A small number of women might still get pregnant after appropriate hormonal emergency contraception. A delay in periods after emergency contraception is observed in some women. I suggest you should be patient and do the pregnancy test in a week s time, and depending on the case, consult your gynecologist for further management.

Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo , MD.
Follow-up: Delayed period, lower stomach pain. Had taken i-pill post sex. Suggestion? 2 days later
HI Doc,

Thanks for your valuable reply. I made a pregnancy detection test last day and found to be negative. I am having the usual (prior to mensus) white discharge from vagina but the periods are not yet started. As I mentioned earlier I believe I have taken 2 tablets(contraceptive pills (i-pill from cipla)) on the same day. Now it is delayed by 8 days. Should I take any medicine to make my periods happen...? Kindly reply.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is ok you did a pregnancy test and the results are known. I might suggest you exercise some patience again for a week. In case you do not experience your periods, your gynecologist shall institute a given protocol of hormonal therapy, preferably.

I suggest patience, and if in a week you experience no periods, you book an appointment with your gynecologist for appropriate clinical evaluation and hormonal therapy. This is important to facilitate follow up, success and to easily modify treatment if necessary.

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.