Delayed healing after BB fracture arm surgery, taking Union. Is this normal?

Question
I have under gone BB fracture Left Arm surgery in April 2012. After 3month review it has been observed that one of the joint is still having opening (delayed healing). Doctors had prescribed UNION Total and Convdex for One months. Even after taking the prescribed medicine, the X-ray shows very little improvement.
Is this normal? I have computer job (sitting). No load onleft arm. Can I keep taking the medicine for longer or should I go for Bone Grafting?
Please advice urgently.
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi SK XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in to Heathcare Magic!
It is a troublesome situation where a good healing or intact bone becomes a hurdle in the healing of broken bone, by keeping the bony segment separated.
The problem is very unlikely to resolve by medicines.
It needs physical intervention to solve this non-union.
Discuss with tour orthopedician, you have three options-
Re-fracture the good bone under general anesthesia and get a cast for 6 weeks again.
Get an operation- open reduction and XXXXXXX fixation- nailing or plating,
Get operated and Bone grafting- require long time for union.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Delayed healing after BB fracture arm surgery, taking Union. Is this normal? 24 minutes later
Thanks for your reply. However, it may be noted that ORIF has already been done. Problem is with RADIUS. The union is not taking place in it. As far as ULNA is concerned, it has already united. doctor has suggested Bone grafting by taking some bone powder from my Elbow and putting it inbetween the non-union joint.
How successful is this method?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 21 minutes later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX
I am sorry, the three options were meant for a fresh fracture...
Let me fine tune on your problem, In your case refracture is not practical, plating is already in situ and not serving the purpose fully.
The only option is bone grafting.
Bone grafting has acceptable success rates. I think they should take the bony fragments from Iliac bone crest rather than elbow.
They can also take bone marrow from iliac bone and leave it at fracture site before surgical closure.
After surgery you should do hand movement and finger movement exercise to improve circulation, learn it from your ortho surgeon.
Wish you a great health!