Dealt with jock itch. Is there any alcohol that is yeast free?

Question
Hi. I work in construction where I sweat a lot, and have dealt with jock itch for the last year. I've stayed away from drinking beer, but I'd still like to have a few drinks with my buddies when we go out. Is there an alcohol that is truly yeast free? I've read of vodka, bourbon and rum. Is this true?
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Beer or yeast in beer is not a cause of jock itch

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I a so sorry to hear about your battle with jock itch. for real, it is caused by fungal(yeast) but the origin is not from beer or the yeast used to brew beer in plants.
There is so much more fungi and yeast in the environment than you can find anywhere else.

There are factors which increase the risk of having this condition. Drinking beer is no way another cause. They include: being a man, wearing tight underwear, are overweight, sweating heavily, having a weakened immune system or having other skin conditions.

These re the factors you should be addressing and not the other ones. Feel free to drink with your friends and not be concerned about this.

Please try the following preventive measures and they would be very helpful.

Stay dry, keep your groin area dry, dry your genital area and inner thighs thoroughly with a clean towel after showering or exercising. Also, use powder around your groin area to prevent excess moisture, wear clean clothes, change your underwear at least once a day or more often if you sweat a lot. Wash workout clothes after each use. Don't wear thick clothing for long periods of time in warm, humid weather.
Make sure your clothes fit correctly, especially underwear, athletic supporters and sports uniforms. Avoid tight fitting clothes, which can rub and chafe your skin and make you more susceptible to jock itch. Try wearing boxer shorts rather than briefs, etc.
Don't share personal items. Don't let others use your clothing, towels or other personal items. Refrain from borrowing these items from others as well.
Treat athlete's foot. Control any athlete's foot infection to prevent its spread to the groin.

I hope this addresses your query fully and provides enough guidance to you. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for clarifications. Please, feel free to socialize with friends and share some alcohol.
I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD.