Dating scan showed yolk sac with no heart beat, C shaped object in gestational sac. Can debris have distinctive shape?

I had a dating scan at 5weeks 3 days. The scan showed a gestational sac and a yolk sac wih no heart beat. There was also a "C" shaped thing in the gestational sac on the opposite side of the yolk sac. The technician performin the scan simply called the "C" shape debris in the gestational sac. It is aparently still early for a heartbeat to be seen just yet? The debris looked like it was floating in the sac. The technician didn't look at it from any other angles and simply told me to return in 2 weeks.
My question is can debris have such a distinctive shape? Could be it another yolk sac? What is debris in the gestational sac? I'm not experiencing any bleeding and my hcg levels are a little high for 5weeks. They were 23,100 at 5 weeks. I can't help but worry about what this "c shaped debris" could be. I understand the technician isn't a doctor and can't diagnose anything but some kind of explanation will help put my mind at ease.

Thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 57 minutes later

You are at 5 weeks 3 days pregnancy and at this stage only gestational sac & yolk sac are visible on ultrasound scans; cardiac activity appears later at 7 weeks.

Regarding debris, it may be an artefact. Such artefacts happen quite commonly during radiological test such as ultrasound or X-rays. They don't have any clinical significance.

In a twin pregnancy HCG level at 5 weeks is usually more than 50,000. So it is unlikely that you have a twin gestation.

So have patience & wait for two weeks to get a better scan.

Hope this allays your fears. I shall be available for your further queries (if any).

Best wishes
Follow-up: Dating scan showed yolk sac with no heart beat, C shaped object in gestational sac. Can debris have distinctive shape? 2 hours later
So an artefact could also occur with a transvaginal ultrasound? An the artefact is to do with the equipement and not necessary actually inside the gestational sac?
And do you mean it's unlikely or likely to have twin gestation due to my hcg levels? (incredible family history of multiples on my maternal side)

I apologise for the million questions :-)

I will try to wait patiently for the two weeks to pass.

Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 44 minutes later

Welcome back.

Artefact is basically artificial image created during processing & it can occur anywhere & even with transvaginal scan.

It’s unlikely to have twin gestation with your HCG level of 23,100 at 5 weeks.
But for conformation you would have to wait till cardiac activity appears.
If there will be single cardiac activity at 7 weeks, then it’s conform that you are having single foetus.

I hope your has been answered. Let me know if you have any other concerns.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.