Dark spot on outer labia, discolored spot, itches. Melanoma?

This week I found a dark spot on my outer labia. it is larger than a pencil eraser, shades of drak brown and pink. Flat. By appearance, it follows the contour of the skin there, so it seems like a discolored spot that'a s part of my skin. That spot itched for a few days a few weeks back, but went away after a few days. Melanoma??
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 59 minutes later

The dark spot on the outer labia that you have noticed - since it is following the contour of the skin and itched initially - it seems to be due to a fungal infection or just a routine pigmentation.
It does not seem to be a concerning problem and doesn't warrant an immediate attention.

Though you have to keep a watch on it every day. Report to your doctor if you find secondary changes such as increase in the size of hyperpigmentation, change in the colour / texture of the skin, itching, redness, swelling, ulcerations, pain, bleeding or scaling/ crusting, etc occurs.

In your case, melasma is another important possibility. It is due to overproduction of melanin by the pigment cells, melanocytes .

It would be better if you could mail me a picture of the spot as this will help me in suggesting you better. Please mail me the picture to YYYY@YYYY SUB: ATTN Dr.Rakhi Tayal.

Please do not forget to reply back here once you mail the picture , so that I can view it and reply you at the earliest.

Anticipating an early response.