Ask a Dentist   »  

Dark colored dry patch on the inside of upper lip, no pain. What could it be?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have developed a patch of roughness on the inside of my upper lip (around where the canin teeth touch it). When i checked it i saw that it was a slightly darker colour that the rest of my inner lip and just that section feels almost dry. Its not painful but i can feel it and am aware of it throughout the day. Its been there a good couple of weeks.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later

Painless dry hyperpigmemted patch on oral mucosa can be caused by local dental irritating lesions or a local fungal infection or ulcer or a sign of systemic illness like lichen planus, or inflammatory bowel disorders or autoimmune disorders, or nutritional deficiency related or rarely malignancy.

To narrow down the possibilities and confirm the diagnosis a thorough clinical examination by a doctor is a must.

In your case it could be more likely a fungal infection or local irritation causing ulcer but since it's already more than a week or two, you should consult your physician. The doctor might prescribe you oral medications or local antifungal and steroid applicants and watch for healing and if no response is seen then proceed to investigate and confirm the cause.

Meanwhile you should not bite or scratch it unnecessarily and maintain adequate hygiene.

You can continue the vitamin b complex and other supplements as well.

Try to avoid stress and acidity which dry and irritate the oral mucosa and may worsen the problem.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow-up.

Wishing you speedy recovery.