Dark brown bleeding since eight weeks. Is this dangerous?

Hi, I am 25 and I have been bleeding dark brown blood for 8 weeks, what's up with me? I am worried
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 6 hours later

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

I am not sure from your question if you are bleeding per rectally or from vagina. From where ever it is certainly you need to be worried and see a specialist.

If it is in the stools then probably you urgently need to see a gastroenterologist and need proper work up for your bleeding. Work up will include few blood tests mainly complete haemogram, liver tests, upper GI endoscopy and a colonoscopy. Chances are that with these tests the cause of bleeding should be apparent. But if these are non-conclusive then some investigations for bleeding from small bowel will have to be done.

If you are bleeding from the vagina then you need to see a gynaecologist.

Best wishes.

Dr Dinesh Singal