Dark blotchy area on legs, spreading. What could it be?

I have dark blotchy areas on both lower legs. Started around ankles and spread up around lower calf. No pain, no itch...looking for possible causes
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 30 minutes later
Hello..Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for sharing your query with us.

I have gone through your medical history provided.
What seems likely in this is Schamberg's Disease.This is a chronic discoloration of the skin which usually affects the legs and often spreads slowly. This disease is more common in males.

There are few other possibilities as well.

I would be able to guide you better if you can upload a few pictures (in good resolution) of the same.You can send them to YYYY@YYYY with subject as 'ATTN.DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS'.

i would also like to know about your profession( like how many hours you spend standing etc) and the duration of the pigmentation.
Will be happy to answer your follow-up queries.

Best wishes,