Dandruff problem, smoking, overweight. What is the remedy, shampoo?

I have experienced dandruff problem since 15 years. I live in the Middle east region where we get hard water. I have severe dandruff problem. if i scratch my head....little pieces of white dandruff pile off as skin does almost 1 cm long.

The climate can get hot up to 55 degrees Celsius and also gets really humid.
I work 18 hours a day sitting on a chair. I smoke one packet a day. I am over weight. my weight is 130 kg.
I am really worried as to what shampoo to use.Please advice.
Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 2 hours later
Hi C,
Thank you for writing in,
The treatment of dandruff is simple,
-You can use a shampoo containing Ketoconazole, Zinc pyrethione can be used to kill the affecting fungus and improve keratinisation of hair follicles. You can use Nizral 2% shampoo or Arcolane 2% shampoo. Both of them contain 2% ketoconazole.
-Apply the shampoo on wet hair with gentle massaging of the scalp and leave the shampoo to act for 20 minutes, rinse thoroughly,
-Keep the affected area clean. Do not apply oil in your hair
-Wash hair daily till its completely disappears,
-Use a clean comb, separated from others to prevent infection in future.
If it does not become better, you would need to see a dermatologist for a course of oral anti-fungal drugs like ketoconazole.
Hope I've answered your question.
Kindly write to me if you have any query.I'll be happy to help you.