Daily exercising, Abglider, lift weights, flabby stomach. Tummy tuck the only option for weight loss ?

ENT Specialist
I am a 60-year old male in good health except I need to lose about 30 lbs. I am 5'8" and weigh 235lbs. I've begun exercising daily on an AbGlider about 15 minutes a day, I walk about a mile a few times a week and lift weights (50 lbs).
I'm trying to rid myself of my spare tire, but I have a "pooch" under my belly button. I have been told (by a plastic surgeon) that the only solution is a tummy tuck. He also said lipo wouldn't work because my skin won't snap back because of my age. Of course he'd say that.
Do you concur or can I get rid of the "pooch" through diet and exercise.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query,

In this age of yours, adequate nutrition and a well balanced diet is of vital importance so as to prevent and control the obesity. There are various modes of reducing this obesity, many adopt their own means to get rid of obesity. Some of them resort to rigorous fasting in the name of diet control, few do rigorous exercises consuming less quantity of food, etc.

Only a well planned diet and suitable exercises can get rid of your belly fat and also keep you fit and healthy.

Here are few tips:
     Reduce calories, don’t starve yourself, fat is an emergency storage for your body. If you do not eat well, your body will hold the fat and burn muscles.
     Take a well balanced wholesome diet which contains XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, whole grains (such as rice, wheat, oats, etc.) and omega -3 fatty acids which help in reducing the fat and building of the muscles.
     Consume frequent small meals.
     As you already have a habit of walking, please do continue that, it should be a brisk walk and if possible make it twice daily. Walking burns more calories from fat than muscles. Hence it is better than jogging.
     Abdominal exercises are the best exercises to burn the belly fat
     1. Stand with your legs widened, raise your hands up and clasp them together, now turn to one direction and try to touch your knees without flexing the knees. In the same way perform it on the opposite side also. Do not over do it, know your limitations.
     2. Lie on the floor with the knees flexed and put your hands behind the head and now try to lift the torso such that your head touches the knee.
     3. Do these two exercises increasing them by one count each day. Remember, not to overdo, as it can be hazardous.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow-up: Daily exercising, Abglider, lift weights, flabby stomach. Tummy tuck the only option for weight loss ? 2 hours later
Thanks for your response but you didn't answer my specific question.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Welcome back.

The information given by your plastic surgeon is absolutely true. After a liposuction, it is indeed difficult for the skin to recede back as the elasticity and the turgor of the skin is lost because of the age related changes. And following liposuction the skin lags behind.

Another option would be a liposuction followed by a skin trimming procedure. But, the major disadvantage of this procedure is, it leaves behind a lengthy scar, which many of them do not agree.

It would be wise enough to reduce the abdominal fat under the belly button with appropriate diet and exercises. And, many have succeeded in their attempt. As you are already performing the exercises regularly, it might not be difficult for you to achieve this. This is better than the liposuction as the fat burnt during the exercises will be in millimeters giving sufficient time for the skin to recede back without any lax skin.

You can either perform the abdominal exercises by yourself or consult a good physio trainer who can help you out in this.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar