Cyst on the clitoral hood, Ingrown hair. Cause?

yes! I woke up this morning with a cyst on the clitoral hood. I had it once before, probably 18 years ago...what causes it? I recently grew back my pubic hair and read that it could have cause a blockage?? do I need intervention or just wait til it subsides? Thanks in advance for your help! I'm 51, 5:4", 140 lb, healthy
Posted Wed, 9 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 10 hours later
Hello ,

Thanks for the query

Based on your description, I can think of two possible causes here:
1. Yes, 'Ingrown hair' can give rise to swelling of this kind.
2. Bartholin gland can also give bump but that is on either side of vaginal opening.

The following measures might help you.
1. Hot moist compresses will help you a lot.
2. You can apply hydrocortisone cream locally.
3. Avoid waxing in that area.
4. Always shave in the direction of hair growth.
5. Do not wear tight underpants.
6. Avoid deodorants and shower gel.

If doesn't subside, I encourage you to consult a gynecologist for physical examination. Prescription medications or perhaps therapeutic procedures may be needed then.

Watch your blood sugars if you have history of diabetes as chances of infection are more in diabetics.

Hope my answer is both informative and useful. Any further query about this problem is most welcome.

Best wishes