Cut on head and nose during fight. Contact with blood. Negative HIV Combi test. Should I test again?

Excellent

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
Hi Dr.

last week there was a fight on Street and i tried to break up the fight and i was struck with a mug causing a XXXXXXX cut on my head and nose with some scratches, howver at the same time one of the guys that was fighting also bled(he using drags and he maybe HIV+), so i dont know if his blood came into contact with my head or nose.but lets say yes, I contact with the blood

after 24 days i did a HIV Combi Test (Antibodies 1&2, + p24 antigen)
result: Negative

should I test again?
should I worried about that situation?

Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your question.
You need not worry about this situation and another test is not necessary.

At 24 days after exposure only a p24 antigen test suffices. If negative, you can be reassured that all is well.
Contact with some one's blood whose HIV status is unknown has a extremely remote chance of transmitting HIV. That also well ruled out by the negative P24 antigen test, one of the very earliest marker of HIV..
So you need not worry about the incident and HIV.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Follow-up: Cut on head and nose during fight. Contact with blood. Negative HIV Combi test. Should I test again? 2 hours later
Thanks Dr. for reply

but lets guess the guy has HIV, is it possible to transfer the virus by this way?

I ask alot of free online doctors and some of them said yes it can and i have to retest after 3 months.

my specific question is: is the hiv test which i did it at after 24 days accurate? should i test again?

with my best regards
Follow-up: Cut on head and nose during fight. Contact with blood. Negative HIV Combi test. Should I test again? 8 minutes later
also about HIV antibodies test, is it accurate after 24 days? or only the p24 is accurate? because I did both type of test and i want to know which one is more accuracy.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
A HIV antibody test at 24 days is within the window period ( which could be anything between 3 weeks to 6 months) and is not adequate. However, the p24 antigen test is reliable at this stage and a negative test should put aside thoughts about a possible infection. So we can reliably say at this stage that you're not HIV positive.
Theoretical possibilities of HIV transmission are there, if one of the fighting guy is HIV positive and his blood has direct contact with your external injury. But it is an extremely remote possibility practically and since your P24 Antigen test is negative, there is no reason why we should we be considering this practically.
I hope I answered your question.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Cut on head and nose during fight. Contact with blood. Negative HIV Combi test. Should I test again? 6 hours later
Thanks Dr.

You are welcome.

I ASSURE YOU that you need not bother about the incident as the P24 antigen test negative after 24 days.

If you are satisfied my answers, let us close this conversation. Should you have further concerns in future and wish to be addressed by me, you may post the queries here:
WWW.WWWW.WW
Have a great day.
Dr S.Murugan