Cut left thumb, had 5 stitches, given LA. Feels sore, twitching. Anything to worry ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I cut my left thumb carving a pumpkin monday night and the cut was XXXXXXX I think I cut a nerve because my index finger hurt as well. I went and got 5 stitches the yesterday because when I went to change the bandage it was still bleeding. It was at 18 hours after I cut it and they had to give me 4 shots of local anesthetic (no epi). The cut measured 1.7 cm. Today, intermittently, my thumb is twitching. Now it feels sore, like muscle fatigue. I'm wondering what this means. I have has some twitching in the past, but nothing this frequent. In addition, I have a family history of Parkinson's. (Maternal Grandmother and Aunt on the mothers side.) Is this normal and should I go back in tomorrow or should I just ask about it when I get the stitches out on the eleventh?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 minutes later

The twitching in your thumb after a XXXXXXX cut is usually reactive muscle stimulation in response to nerve irritation due to swelling or injury. This is nothing serious and will subside on its own.

The soreness in the thumb is again related to the tissue edema after the injury.

You can go on your scheduled appointment on 11th to get your stitches removed and this is not related to Parkinson's disease.

Meanwhile do continue taking the antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs prescribed to you.

Avoid using your left thumb till your hand heals.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Cut left thumb, had 5 stitches, given LA. Feels sore, twitching. Anything to worry ? 41 minutes later
Does this indicate the nerve is repairing? How long is it likely to continue to twitch?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.

Usually superficial wounds of fingers are not associated with nerve injury.

Twitching indicates nerve healing. Usually complete recovery takes upto two weeks time.

Taking methylcobalamin supplements like Tab. Neurokind once a day can help in early recovery.

Hope my answer is helpful.Wishing you good health.