Currently on niacin supplement that is flush-free, cholesterol is still high. Suggest?

I am currently a niacin supplement that is flush-free. Do all its other qualities remain stable? My cholesterol is still high, so I'm wondering if it is doing me any good.
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Niacin has not proven heart benefits

Detailed Answer:
My dear patient,

Thanks for your query. Not all medications for cholesterol have proven benefit for the heart. Niacin has been quite dissapointing in several trials, large scale, randomized, as it has not proven any long term benefit for heart patients, unlike another type of cholesterol medications, the statins, which have a long solid tradition of improving long term outcomes in patients with cardiovascular disease. You could look up results of a recent trial called AIM HIGH.

For most of my heart patients. I make sure they are on a statin, if able to tolerate (may try 3 or more different types if intolerance), and do not encourage Niacin. I therefore encourage you to have a discussion with your prescribing provider about the current proven benefits of niacin.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN