Ct scan showed low density bilateral adnrxal lesion in pelvis. Done with ultrasound. Reason for thinning hair?

Question
I was sent for a ct-scan after the dermotogist tested me for thinning hair, he said I had doctor sent me for a ct- scan, this is the results small low density bilateral adnrxal lesion in pelvis,most lokely ovarian cyst also, right ovary mildly enlarged, cyst is 1.5 on left and 1.3 on right. I had a ultrasound have not got results,what does the prognosis from what I have gotten so far, I am 58 years old. I have gotten back my ultrasound done both ways impression is:Top normal size uterus with top normal endometrium for postmenopausal woman 2.1 cm solid lesion on right ovary, this is nonspecific. possiblity of hemmorrhagic, neoplastic or fibrotic lesion is considered. although not present on XXXXXXX 2012 test. simple 1.1cm on left ovary. what do you think about this being bad diagnosis or not. thank you
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The ultrasound scan findings are suggestive of a small mass on the right ovary. It could be due to a hemorrhagic cyst, cancer or a benign fibrous mass. Since it is a well defined mass, it is less likely to be cancerous. You need to get your tumor marker levels CA-125 evaluated to rule out any malignant cause. Do monitor yourself for any generalized symptoms like fever, weight loss, fatigue, loss of appetite, etc.
A follow up scan after 6 weeks is recommended to find out the trend of growth.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Ct scan showed low density bilateral adnrxal lesion in pelvis. Done with ultrasound. Reason for thinning hair? 23 minutes later
would it be risky to wait 6 weeks to check for any change or should I ask my gyn to do vaginal hysterectomy now, and not take any chances. Do you feel that if I choose a hysterectomy that with this type of mass I need to have a gyn onc look at me first, my gyn never suggested going somewhere else to be evaluated, I have been under alot of stress due to loss of my son in car accident and I dont handle anything well these days, so I dont want to do anything stupid, that is going to jeopardize my family going threw another loss. what would you suggest I do wait and recheck or go ahead with hysterectomy?

Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It is more likely to be a benign lesion. There is no need to rush for a hysterectomy. It is best to wait and get it re-evaluated. Waiting for only 6 weeks is not risky for now. Please do not worry. You can get your serum CA - 125 levels evaluated now for the peace of your mind.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Ct scan showed low density bilateral adnrxal lesion in pelvis. Done with ultrasound. Reason for thinning hair? 8 hours later
Thank you for replying , one more question on the the ultrasound also said uterus to be top normal and endometrium is not markedly thickened but is somewhat prominent 7mm with postmenopausal woman they also XXXXXXX right ovary is top normal and has a somewhat hypoechoic solid mass, no significant cyst is seen no significant free fluid. do you feel there are any issues with the uterus/endometrium that I should be worried about? Thank You

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later
The endometrium and uterus are normal. The mild prominence is just a normal physiological variation and is not suggestive of any pathology.
Regards.

Follow-up: Ct scan showed low density bilateral adnrxal lesion in pelvis. Done with ultrasound. Reason for thinning hair? 1 hour later
My other concern was having a androgen secreting tumor because of the elevated testosterone, the only symptom is thinning of my hair right in front , no excess hair growth anywhere or anything else consistent with pcos or hydroangenism, (sorry spelling), I just dont understand the elevated testosterone isd that normal for anyone with any kind of cyst? Thank You

The elevated levels of testosterone are not related to the ovarian cystic mass that has been detected. This could be a minor hormonal imbalance. An ovarian mass is not likely to be androgen secreting tumor. Please do not worry.