Creatinine & blood urea concerned levels, pain in right leg heel, diabetic, blood sugar in control. Advise?

Question
Dear Doctor,
I am diabetic since 20 yrs. My latest HbAic is 8% I have my blood sugar level under control. But my other problems are :
1) My creatinine level is 2.27, Blood Urea- 59
2) There is intense pain in the heel of right leg for the past one week making me difficult to walk

Please advise me as to what to do. Thanks.- XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

You have provided detailed information about reports and medicine that you are taking.

I will try to help you with your problems,

1. S.Creatinine-2.27 and Blood urea-59

In case of long standing uncontrolled diabetes the kidneys can be damaged. Your high reports are suggesting damage your kidneys. You need to deal with this very carefully.

First of all if not done, please visit a kidney specialist. He may ask for some more investigations to see how your kidneys are functioning. You might need to take some drugs to prevent progress of this problem and save your kidneys. Your doctor will advise them.

2. Pain in Rt.Heel:

The commonest possibility in your case is inflammation of bursa (a cushion like structure in heel above bone).This can occur frequently in diabetics. Commonly it is known as bursitis. In some cases a condition called Plantar fasciitis can also lead to this.

Please try following,

Wear soft heel shoes or foot wear with some special cushion.
Do not walk barefoot
Do hot and cold message with water
Apply local analgesic cream over the area.

For the both the problems you need to control your diabetes properly. Your HBA1C is high, is should be below at least 7.

Apart from this,

Please reduce your weight
Plan your diet well
Do regular exercise
Check your blood sugar on regular basis
Maintain regular follow up with your physician.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.
In case you do not have any further query, please accept the answer.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Creatinine & blood urea concerned levels, pain in right leg heel, diabetic, blood sugar in control. Advise? 14 hours later
Dear dr.Pragnesh,
Thanks for your kind and crisp answer for my queries. but regarding the problem of kidney, i have consulted a nephrologist and he has prescribed drugs for controlling the BP level and reducing intake of salt. the drug suggestyed by him is only Olmat AM, Revelol AM 50/5, Dytor 5 mg and reuction in intake of Pottacium XXXXXXX and protein XXXXXXX food.
Please suggest whether these drugs are sufficient to reduce the level of creatine?
How to avoid pottacium and proten XXXXXXX food?
What are the real or direct drugs to prevent the increase in creatinine level?
Please help me. Thanks.
k XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 6 hours later

Good hear from again sir.

It is good that you have already consulted kidney specialist for this.

The drugs given to you are fine and they will help to preserve your kidneys. There is no drug which directly lowers creatinine levels; the drugs given help to protect the kidneys improve the kidney function and this all in turn reduce the creatinine as the kidneys do well.

In all, the most important thing is control of blood sugar.

Please do not take any analgesics or any other drug without consulting your doctor to prevent further damage to your kidneys. Pain killers are the most XXXXXXX drugs for you.

Protein intake needs to be reduced. As per your weight and stage of disease the doctor will decide how much protein to give.

Following foods are XXXXXXX in potassium. Please avoid them.
1.     Dairy products such as milk, cheese, pudding, yogurt and ice cream.
2.     Dried beans and peas such as kidney beans, split peas and lentils.
3.     Nuts and peanut butter.
4.     Beverages such as cocoa, beer and cola soft drinks

Normally the kidney specialist gives detailed diet advice, if not given it is better that you get in touch with a dietitian for comprehensive advice.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.

Dr.Pragnesh