Cramping and hardening in oblique after exercise, prone to muscle strain, restricts range of motion. How to fix?

After a colonic, I began doing my rather vigorous abdominal exercises. On this particular occasion, I developed severe cramping in my right obliques, causing a hardening in that area that remains today. It has been over a year now. I was told it was nothing serious, but I seem more prone to muscle strain on that side, and I believe it restricts my range of motion, especially in my golf swing. How do I fix this Doc?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

For your complaints, I think you will need some physical therapy. A physical therapist will be able to perform a thorough assessment and generate a treatment plan which will include some stretching exercises as well as some exercises to strengthen the muscles on both sides of the abdomen. I suspect that there is some asymmetry in the muscles of your abdomen and this point and a therapist will be able to work on balancing the strength and symmetry with you.

In addition to therapy, you may also benefit from a course of anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen 600 mg three times per day for a few weeks. Finally a topical preparation such as Aspercreme may also help improve some of your flexibility and mobility.

If this does not benefit you and you still are bothered by the symptoms, you could talk to a surgeon about botox injections which may serve to relax the muscle fibers. I would defer any thought on that until you see a therapist.

I thank you again for the query and hope my response has served to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.