Covered the mandibule and took the skin off the bone harvest leg. Why is his bruise in chin not healing?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My husband has t4an2 mo. When they covered the mandibule they took the skin off the bone harvest leg. Operation was 3/29/12. They had to replace the floor flap because it did not heal and he had an infection. Now we find out the skin over mandibule did not heal and the metel rod is showing. They are in no hurry to replace it and he has a rotton odor from his mouth. Is that smell because of rotton skin? What is the risk for another infection from this? Thank you. Pat XXXXXXX Ps. He is not healing...hole in chin still bloody and he sleeps a lot and has no energy.
Posted Mon, 11 Jun 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Since your husband has infection in the area of implant, it is not likely to take any other skin over the mandible till the infection is adequately controlled.
The smell in his mouth is also indicative of infection and will go off once the rotten skin is healed. He needs to keep the area clean and avoid touching the area with bare fingers.
Broad spectrum oral antibiotics and a local debridement of the wound will help in controlling the infection.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.