Could you suggest medicines which could give a permanent solution for fungal infection?

Jan 2014

Hello doctor, i have itching in my groin area, i had the same problem last year and i consulted with my doctor, he was telling its a fungal infection, he gave some medicines, after which i was free from this itching, but after a long period i am again having the same itching issue. Could you please suggest medicines which could give a permanent solution for the fungal infection, Also could please suggest some topical creams and medicines which i need to take when i get itching? I see decoloration of skin in my groin area, is this is also because of fungus, could please advices any remedial solution for this
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Oral+Topical Antifungals Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at HCM. Fungal infection of the groin/jock itch develops due to conducive environment provided by the body folds. Sweating, humidity, obesity are factors that encourage fungal growth. Regarding pigmentation in the groins, it is most likely post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation secondary to recurrent fungal infections which you experienced in the past. Pigmentation would lighten by itself gradually if the fungal infections are not allowed to recur. Since fungal infections can recur again due to favorable condition for fungal growth, therefore you need to use an anti-fungal dusting powder in the folds regularly which will not only keep the area dry and moisture free but in addition to it being an anti-fungal it will help prevent recurrence of fungal infections. -I would normally advice my patients an oral anti-fungal (fluconazole 150mg once every week for 6 weeks). -I also advice in my patients, a topical steroid+antifungal combination cream (clotrimazole+Beclomethasone) twice daily for 4-6 weeks. -An OTC antihistamine like cetrizine once daily in the evening will help you with the itch part -Once my patients are cured(usually 4-6 weeks) i ask them to use an anti-fungal dusting powder (clotrimazole dusting powder) in the folds, so as to prevent recurrence. regards