Could the lump on my buttock which has been there for two years be gristle?

Hi....I've had a lump on my buttock for 2+ years......assumed it was gristle....but have just read an article in a newspaper that has lead me to be a little concerned. Obviously I need to have it question, could it just be gristle?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 45 minutes later

In the first place it is important that you had lump which is there since more then 2 years and you are not having any problem with that, means there is no need to worry.

In case the lump is something serious, then it should have produce some symptoms like pain, tenderness, increase in size etc. Which is not the case with you.

Gristle means any cartilaginous structure, it is not common in this area.

Now to get a complete idea of what it is, you should consult your doctor.

If you can provide with me this following details I can come to a probable diagnosis of what it could be.

1. Shape, defined or not
2. Pain while touching it
3. Its consistency means feel, hard, soft etc.
4. Any local skin changes etc.

After this one may come to a some conclusion about this.

If I try to guess it should be lipoma, a bunch of fat cells, which if not causing any problem best left alone.

I hope this answers your query,I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Could the lump on my buttock which has been there for two years be gristle? 38 minutes later
The lump is an oval shape,about an inch in diameter, hard and is uncomfortable when you touch it.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 26 minutes later

Good to see you back. From the description it seems be lipoma only. When this lipoma comes under pressure or friction it gives rise to pain.

The other possibility could be a cyst. Which is like a bag filled with some jelly like material.

In both the case they only need treatment when they start bothering you. Please get in touch with your doctor and get your self examined. This will clear the thing and make you comfortable.

I hope this answers your query.