Could swelling in the region of the upper butt crack and Hiradenitis Supurativa be interrelated?

General Surgeon
Hi. I woke up this morning with a small swelling in the region of my upper butt crack. I have had these before and they go away after a few days. It is not very painful, only if I put pressure on it in some way. I remember being diagnosed with Hiradenitis Supurativa (Sp?) a few years ago. Could this be related? It doesn't sound like the pilonidal cysts I've been reading about online today. I'll give it a couple days and if it gets worse I was planning on finding a doctor on Monday. Any thoughts?
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibility of Folliculitis Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXX, Wishing you a very happy new Year 2014. From the description given by you, it could possibly be 1. Folliculitis: Infection of hair follicle. Its more likely diagnosis 2. Hidradenitis Suppurata: nfection of sweat gland( What was the site of your previous Hidradenitis? did it heal with scarring? 3. Atypical Pilonidal Sinus: It cannot be competely ruled out/ Exact diagnosis and opinion is only possible by having a look at the lesion, would suggest you to send a clinical photograph of the same. In the meantime i would advise you the following which will be beneficial for all these. 1. Hot Seitz Bath: Add a handful of salt in a tub of lukewarm water and immerse your bottom in it by sitting in it for 15- 20 minutes each time. Do it thrice a day. It will help relieve oedema and inflammation 2. Analgesic and anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen will be helpful 3. Combination of Ciprofloxacin and Metronidazole will be helpful. 4. Local Application of Mupirocin Ointment i Hope it helped Do Get back to me if you need any further assistance. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon
Follow-up: Could swelling in the region of the upper butt crack and Hiradenitis Supurativa be interrelated? 6 hours later
The other HS lesions were between my breasts, on my forehead, on my arm, and on my leg ( all at the same time). only the one between my breasts healed with enough scarring to be seen. Thank you for your help. I will try your suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Take care Detailed Answer: Greetings Wishing you a very happy and healthy life. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore