Could it be related to wheat allergy or celiac disease? Back sores, lack of focus.

My question is about my dad's health. He is 75 and has had symptoms of dis-ease all through this life - tiredness, lack of focus, couldn't work properly all the time, farm finally fell apart, and he didn't do anything about it until his creatinine was at 1000. Along with this he had sores all over his back which look like Duhring's disease to me. does this skin condition and kidney disease seem like it could be related to something like a wheat allergy or celiac disease? Should his kidney doctor be doing anything about the skin condition. It does get worse when he isn't on dialysis. Thanks.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 12 hours later

Duhring's disease (Also known as Dermatitis Herpetiformis) is an itchy, blistering condition of the skin. It is related to hypersensitivity to gluten in diet.

However kidney failure can itself lead to itchy skin, due to elevated toxins, abnormally high calcium and phosphorous levels, high parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels.

Your nephrologist can get these tested. Although kidney failure and gluten hypersensitivity are not related but they may still coexist.

A dermatologist will have to look at his lesions to confirm if it is Duhring's disease. Kindly get him evaluated.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Could it be related to wheat allergy or celiac disease? Back sores, lack of focus. 1 hour later
Thank you, and you have answered my question, and in relation to it, may I ask this one: is there anything that will clear up the sores if it is due to any of those factors due to kidney failure?
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow-up.

It really would depend on the underlying abnormality. The therapy would vary with the cause.
Extent of response also varies from person to person.

Please let him get evaluated first.

Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Wishing your father a speedy recovery.