Coughing and vomiting after food went down windpipe, lungs feel sore. If I sucked the chip down what should I expect?

I was eating some chips and salsa and a small piece of chip got down in my airway. I immediately began to caugh and began to gag and vomited repeatedly. After about 15 min of coughhing, I started to feel better. I am now breathing okay but my lungs feel sore on XXXXXXX breaths but am breathing normally. I'm paranoid that instead of coughing it out, I sucked it down. The chip was small and felt like about 3mmx3mm or smaller. If I did suck it down what should I expect or do I need to do anything?
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Even if you did inhale it , there is nothing you need to do right now and you should not be expecting anything. Its unlikely that the chip went through to the lungs as the airways near the lungs are about 1 mm in size. Its unlikely they allowed anything through. Your chest wall would be feeling sore due the severe effort ( coughing then vomiting). I am sure you are just fine and there is nothing special that you need to do.
You;ll be feeling better much soon.
Hope that helps
Let me know if you have any more questions